Thursday, November 30, 2006

Food: Shark Bites


One of my favorite fruit snacks was "Shark Bites." Truth be told, I liked them as a kid mostly because of the marketing machine behind it. I mean, come on, what 8-year old boy isn't going to go for fruit snacks shaped like carnivorous aquatic creatures? Throw in the incredible pack-in toys (the coolest of which was a baking soda-propelled toy submarine), and it's a miracle I wasn't throwing these into Mom's shopping cart at every opportunity.

Tasting them nowadays betrays how much I've aged, or perhaps how much they've changed the formula for kids' snacks. The Shark Bites available now are not very fruity, and while the colors are basically as I remember them, they are way too sweet (like most of today's fruit snacks) and have a gummy consistency totally unlike the harder, fleshier texture I remember tasting as a kid.

If I had to eat a fruit snack right now, I'd go for Fruit Roll-Ups. Garfield chewy fruit snacks will always be my all-time favorite fruit snack - too bad they stopped making them about a decade and a half ago. C'est la vie.

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I must respectfully disagree, I think the shark bites still taste exactly the same as when I was a kid or pretty damn close!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Aline said...

oh my gosh! I have been looking for a replacement for those garfield fruit snacks for years!!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous gilbert said...

I thought I was the only one who remembered Garfield fruit snacks!! They sure were better as a kid. Now they have a texture similar to a gummy bear, not the chewy dried fruit constincey their name suggests. The fruit snacks that were available on the market in the late 80's and early 90's is gone forever. The most similar fruit snack product out there would be fruit-roll-ups, gushers, and fruit by the foot (which is now smaller and thinner by the way).

I know a little to much about fruit snacks....

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I get them again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home