Saturday, September 23, 2023

Tech: Apple Watch Series 8 review

With the release of the Apple Watch 9 yesterday, I thought it might be time to do an update review on the Apple Watch 8 that my folks got me for Christmas last year:


What does the Series 8 do well?

The Apple Watch executes on the main things I wanted from a smartwatch - a GPS/heart rate monitor for tracking my runs, a cellular radio that can take calls and send texts even when away from a phone, and a voice-controlled smart assistant that can set timers and look up trivia on the go.


What does the Series 8 do poorly?

Most of the apps for the Apple Watch are either gimmicks, or poor substitutes for the smartphone versions. I never found any use for the decibel monitor or temperature sensor. Apple Maps and Google Maps rarely work. Spotify randomly refused to download workout playlists. There are apps to browse the web and watch YouTube, but they're finicky and limited by the tiny screen. Finally, while the device itself is pretty tough and resists water well, the screen scratches more easily than I'd like.


Is it worth it to spring for the Apple Watch Series 9?

With the new model out, you can now find the Series 8 on sale for well under $300, which is not a bad value for something that literally provides 98% of the functionality of the latest version.  For me, the only things the Series 9 brings to the table are a faster processor and a brighter display, neither of which are problems in the old model. If it were my money, I'd save the 120 bucks and get the Series 8.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home