Saturday, September 30, 2006

Miscellany: Cue the "Rocky" music


On the one hand, I hate going to the gym. I hate spending time working out, when I could be doing something else. I enjoy running and cycling because you get a change of scenery every time you do it, and you get some time outdoors, but it seems a bit silly to exercise indoors.

On the other, I've always wanted to do a chin-up. I haven't been able to do one since grade school. Push-ups, sit-ups, running mile after mile - no problem. But chin-ups have got me licked.

So I did the cheapest thing I could think of - $40 set of dumbbells, and $15 weight training book that covers all the exercises I'm likely to need, and how to safely exercise them. The main key? - go slow. Each rep should take about 5 seconds to do - around 2 seconds to extend, and then 3 seconds to contract. You shouldn't "cheat" by using momentum or improper form to "squeeze" out reps.

So this way I can weight train whenever I like, while listening to NPR or a podcast. Give me six months, and maybe I'll be able to do a chin-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home