Thursday, February 08, 2007

Books: Maison Ikkoku


Maison Ikkoku is a manga that originally ran in Big Comic Spirits during the 80s. Concerning the day-to-day life of college student Yusaku Godai and his quest for the affections of a young widow, the series was the first major success of famous manga author Rumiko Takahashi - the creator of Ranma 1/2 and the wildly popular InuYasha.
I got addicted to Maison Ikkoku at an odd time in my life. I was floating around with a serious case of senior-itis, that general malaise that sometimes affects people who are about to graduate and know that there's not much reaosn to get worked up about school any more. I was familiar with both Ranma and InuYasha, but both of those series rely more on madcap action and supernatural events - Maison Ikkoku is a totally different animal.
I managed to borrow the first few books in the library, but after I read those, I still had a nagging desire to finish the story. Does Yusaku finally get the girl of his dreams? Will he ever find a job he's good at? Maison Ikkoku, though probably not a "guy's comic," seems to play on the hopes and pitfalls of every young man. The end scenes, as one reviewer characterized them, are satisfying and cathartic, and I recommend giving the series a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home