Thursday, March 29, 2007

Food: Adventures in Awful Dinners

I'm usually not one to complain about food. As you can see from some of the past reviews here, even a greasy-spoon fast food joint will get decent marks from me if the price is right and the quality is reasonable. Sometimes, though, things do tend to get out of hand, especially when I'm tired of the same old haunts and I want to try something new.

I tried some Kentucky Fried Chicken for the first time in literally a decade after I picked up the RX300 from the shop. Typical fast food, right? Well, our particular KFC has to be one of the worst KFCs in the entire country - staffed by people who work slowly and barely speak English. The chicken was dry and undercooked (yes, even by KFC standards), a condition I didn't think the laws of physics allowed. I literally wanted to toss the whole plate right then and there, but it was my only dinner so I ate it. I suspect it'll be another decade or so before I try KFC again.

The next night, I went to Miraku, a Japanese steak house and sushi joint. I stay away from hibachi/teppan yaki, mostly because everything ends up tasting like everything else. I ordered some sushi and sashimi instead - a mistake. The resulting pieces of fish were worse than what you could buy at the local supermarket, and the price was pretty ludicrous considering how much food you were actually served (let's just say I could've had dinner twice at the Ale House for what I paid). I can understand skimping on the fish, but why cut back on the amount of salad you give people?

Tomorrow, after my practice oral, it's time for some real food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home