Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tech: HDTV-itis


Our new co-tenant moved some of her stuff in, and with that stuff included a swanky 32" Konka LCD HDTV. One of the most well-documented obsessions in history occurs whenever a geek like me comes into contact with an HDTV: HDTV-itis.

Now, I've seen HDTVs in other people's homes, but it's a far cry from being able to watch whatever you want in mind-jarring 720p or 1080i resolution. HDTV-itis refers the need to watch something, anything, in HD. eR0k and I were literally watching a documentary about Mormons on PBS just because it was in HD (the detail on the pictures of Brigham Young was exquisite). Now, I've got nothing against Mormons, but I simply do not have enough interest in Mormonism to sustain an hour-long documentary - or so I thought. Did you know Brigham Young had 57 children? I saw most of their pictures...in HD!

It's a bit embarrassing to be lavishing so much attention on something that's essentially a glorified computer monitor, but life is short, and sometimes you need to be fascinated by something once in awhile. Similar reactions ensued when I got my hands on my first guns, my first computer, my first Nintendo...I'm sure, with time, it will pass, but in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy it.

Time to whip out my "Fellowship of the Rings" DVD. Our co-tenant also brought in an upscanning DVD player. w00t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home