Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Belated Birthday

My parents are troopers. Even on the very day my Mom was scheduled to fly out to attend to my Grandma, she offered to take me shopping for a (late) birthday present - a briefcase, mostly for when I'd have to interview with law firms. I accepted, knowing shopping would take her mind off of things. Keep in mind, though, that the only thing I know about briefcases comes from TV and the movies:



Anyway, we visited a few places in the mall, and it was painfully evident that no one sells traditional hard-sided briefcases any more. Much more prevalent was the soft bag style of briefcase, which I suppose is easier to shovel a laptop into (but I already have a laptop bag). The few briefcases in stock were pretty cheap-looking.

Why a briefcase? My Dad has been carrying the same faded brown briefcase for the past couple of decades, with no end in sight. There's a certain romanticism involved with carrying on the family tradition. Moreover, I always thought that's what lawyers carried. The times, they are a-changing.

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I've got a nearly un-used Halliburton Premier 3" I was gonna put up on eBay, those courier bags IMO are male purses. I took it to an interview once twelve years ago and it's been sitting ever since.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Spodeley/For%20Sale/?action=view¤t=ZeroHalliburtonCase.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home