Saturday, July 07, 2007

Guns: Best buys in surplus handguns


*** The Makarov ***

I once had a chance to pick up a Bulgarian Makarov, and I've kicked myself ever since for passing it up. By and large, these classic guns (regardless of the country of origin) are reliable, easy to feed, and have a big following (ensuring relatively easy holster and parts availability). The Mak is one of the few sub-$200 handguns I'd trust for self-defense.

Although Makarovs are chambered in 9mm Makarov (equivalent to a hot .380 ACP), they served as the official Soviet sidearm for many years (Internet gunnie lore has it that this was because Maks were used primarily for executing people and not for self-defense). They have a snappy but light recoil, and are fairly easy to carry, especially in a hip or shoulder holster.

*** The CZ-52 ***

On the other end of the spectrum is the CZ-52, chambered in 7.62x25 TT (i.e. the Tokarev round). I've only fired one once, but it was a memorable experience. I think people purposely load mags with hot Czech ammunition and hand them to newbies to watch the reaction. The gun is surprisingly thin, but that doesn't make it any more graceful or comfortable.

They're fairly powerful, fairly large, and still pretty cheap. I'm not sure I'd ever carry one, but a CZ-52 would make a decent house gun or range gun. Some of the parts (particularly the firing pin) might be fragile. As is usually the case with surplus guns, however, replacement parts are just another gun away...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home