Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Miscellany: On the Cover of the Rolling Stone

I've never read "Rolling Stone" magazine, and I've never been interested in reading it, so you can understand my surprise when I received a card in the mail saying I would be billed by the magazine if I didn't cancel my subscription.

Naturally, I was peeved, and I canceled immediately via automated 800 number. Strangely enough, the computer was programmed to beg me to subscribe, even lowering the rate to $15 per year, which makes "Rolling Stone" almost cheaper than toilet paper. I've never really respected the magazine for its musical opinions (they ripped "Led Zeppelin" in all their reviews - guess who's laughing now?), but with the new editors trying to make it into "FHM" or "Maxim," I respect it even less.

My personal favorite contradiction is their left-leaning, progressive politics combined with their relentless pandering to advertisers. It's a little hard to take some dyed-in-the-wool "Chimpy McHitlerburton" Democratic scrawl seriously when there's an ad for Skyy vodka on the back cover, as well as ads for Levi's, Nissan, Motorola, etc. on every other page.

Anyway, here's the only thing I could think of to go with this post:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home