Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tech: Mass Effect preview

BioWare's upcoming action-RPG game, "Mass Effect," is being billed as a spiritual sequel to KOTOR, and it's not hard to see why. The conversation scenes are highly reminiscent of BioWare's previous Star Wars-themed effort, and the futuristic settings and alien planets seem calculated to generate approval from sci-fi fans, as opposed to the sometimes hard-to-swallow milieu of Jade Empire:



You know the drill - big galaxy to explore, ancient evil, lots of NPCs, etc. While it's nice to see another great BioWare game in the works, I can't help but think that maybe they've gone to the well one too many times. I'm just hoping they fix the most basic issues with the Baldur's Gate/NWN/KOTOR formula - friendly AI (pathfinding, combat, etc.), bugs, and what I like to call the "Endless Inventory" problem - where you get so much minor loot that you feel more like a pawn shop than a hero.

Some of the dialogue outcomes are...interesting, to say the least:

1 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boyfriend has been going around, sweeping me up in his arms, and whispering seductively:
"Your eyes tell a story that makes me want to weep."
And then he will laugh. And I will laugh. And he will probably body slam me onto the beanbag.

do you get a timestamp on these? damn. it's early.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home