Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

For me, getting a Mother's Day gift can be difficult, especially since I'm not a kid anymore. I almost wish I was still 10 years old, so that I could give Mom a card made with paste and macaroni without it being too ironic. Thankfully, with age comes wisdom, and I've found that a useful gift, tailored to the recipient's interests, will in the long run be more appreciated than a box of chocolate or some flowers (not that those aren't nice, of course).

It's also important to know where to shop. When I stopped in at Brookstone (a store in the mall that sells doodads and gadgets), I asked if they had something for a gardener. You see, my Mom has a bona fide green thumb. Unfortunately, all Brookstone sold was a silly overpriced garden tool set. $75 for handheld rakes, ploughs, and forks seemed kind of steep.

So I went to Home Depot and got a whole bucketful of serious gardening implements for much less money. It's not as cushy as a box of chocolate or a bouquet of roses; then again, though, my Mom probably prefers to grow her own roses.

1 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger breda said...

I bet she'll love it. Real tools are better than fancy stuff any day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home