Saturday, August 02, 2008

Miscellany: Summer Calisthenics

If you conceal a firearm inside the waistband, you have probably experienced firsthand the difference that being in shape has on your ability to carry. When I'm thin and svelte, my P-01 rides without a second thought. In my current condition, engorged by months of having a recuperating broken arm, I can barely get the darn holster on my belt, let alone finagle a blocky 9mm light-rail-equipped slide into the thing.

It's an excellent prod to losing weight. When you can't carry your favorite gun, and are reduced to toting around a pocket revolver because your gut has grown to John Goodman-in-"Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" proportions, there's a definite resolve to get in shape. Time to hit the jogging trails, I suppose.

If I ever get the chance, I''ll make an infomercial about this whole concept - "Tired of not being able to strap on your $2000 custom 1911? Want to have room to tighten your Wilderness Instructor's Belt? Buy the Flabmaster 5000 and watch your carry options increase as your waistline decreases!"

3 Comments:

At 3:24 AM, Blogger James R. Rummel said...

Good post.

James

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, man.. I am a firearms enthusiast myself and strongly believe in responsible gun ownership.

I have lost about 40 pounds this year, starting with just eating better. Followed up by 90 days of a program called Power 90. Now I have started P90X and it is really making a big difference. If you want to get in shape, P90 and P90X will kick your butt.

Check it out...

http://dogandponyshow.typepad.com/90_day_transformations/

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Mulliga said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I saw an infomercial about that P90X program. No gimmicks, IIRC - just constant, rotated workouts, with built-in "recovery" phases. It's not surprising that it works like it does, especially compared to the other milquetoast workout doodads on the market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home