Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Guns: Administrative Gun Handling for the CCW

Citizens who regularly carry a firearm for self-defense handle their guns more than any other group of gunowners, save for the people who carry them for a living (LEOs, military, etc.). Unfortunately, careless gun handling can lead to embarrassment and possibly punishment, like it did for Agent Zero/Hibachi.

There are a few different schools of thought on just how often you should actually handle your gun. A thorough observance of the Four Rules will prevent most trouble, but I'll post my three main rules of thumb here anyway:

1. The Holster Is Your Friend - During the course of a day, I think the typical carry gun should never leave the holster. The holster protects the gun from wear, but more importantly it protects the trigger from the outside world. I leave my firearm safely ensconced in its cocoon unless I encounter point #2...

2. Chamber Check Any Unattended Firearm - This one could be rephrased in any number of catchy ways - "After you take a stroll, look at the hole" or perhaps "Before you swipe, check the pipe." When a gun leaves my person, it automatically and instantly becomes An Unknown. Don't carry an Unknown - chamber check your guns!

For example, if I have to leave my CCW locked in my car during the day (to enter a courthouse, for instance), I make sure the gun is still loaded and hasn't been damaged when I get back to it. The last thing you want when carrying a firearm is surprises. Which brings us to #3...

3. Same Shtick, Different Day - I'm a firm believer in sticking to one carry location for your gun. Oh, the exact holster and carry method can vary depending on your clothing, but I think the general placement - whether the gun is on your left, right, front, or back - shouldn't vary from day to day.

Settling on one overall location trains you to adapt to the specific advantages and disadvantages of that location. For example, weak side carry methods (the cross draw and the shoulder holster) work great when seated but have a more complicated draw and can be more difficult to retain in a struggle. Below-the-hip carry methods like ankle and thigh holsters are hard to access on the move or in certain positions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home