Sunday, May 20, 2012

Music: Rock and Roll


For my friends and me, the highlight of this year's SunFest was an age-defying performance from Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. Jett filled the stage with her blend of punk rock and raw sex appeal - "Bad Reputation," "Cherry Bomb," and her biggest hit, the chart-topping cover of "I Love Rock 'n Roll," and it had the crowd on their feet for much of the night. It wasn't all good (Jett's new songs like "TMI" and "Reality Mentality" were a forced attempt to appeal to the Facebook/"Jersey Shore" generation), but Joan still rocked harder than anyone else we saw at the festival.

You might be tempted to chalk up this ability to Joan Jett's years of experience, but I think it's mostly talent. I mean, even thirty years ago, Joan Jet had an incredible connection to a crowd. Check out this live version of Lou Reed's "Rock & Roll" from The Runaways' 1977 Japan tour for video proof:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home