Monday, August 31, 2020

Miscellany: Making a Pathfinder 2E character


My friends and I are playing some Pathfinder Second Edition over Labor Day weekend, so I am putting together a min-maxed PC who's one part Mike from Breaking Bad and one part Jinyiwei. Curious as to how character creation in Pathfinder 2E compares to Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition? Check out the character choices I made below:

1. Ancestry

The Core Rulebook contains 6 ancestries (dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, halfling, and human), and selecting one is the first and most important choice you make. Each ancestry carries a slew of ability bonuses, special feats, and in most cases, a "flaw" (an ability score penalty). 

For my character, who is going to be going around investigating dissidents and whacking them with a sword, I pick human. I get two free ability boosts (+2 to a score) and no flaws, so I pump Strength and Wisdom.  I choose the "Versatile" heritage, which gives you a free general feat - I opt for "Canny Acumen" and become an expert in Will saves.  Finally, I get the "Natural Skill" human ancestry feat and get trained in Intimidation and Stealth.

2. Background

The second choice, and a similarly irrevocable one, is choosing a background. I pick the "Detective" background, which boosts either Wisdom or Intelligence (I go for Wisdom again), and then a free boost of your choice (I pick Strength, natch).  It also grants training in Society, Underworld Lore, and the Streetwise skill feat.

3. Class

Choosing a class is important, but perhaps not as important as you might think since there are multiclassing feats. I'm torn between choosing a straight Fighter or trying a Rogue with the "Ruffian" racket, but I ultimately go Fighter. 

Picking the Fighter class gives me a Strength boost, expert training in Perception, Fortitude, and Reflex saves, training in Athletics and three more skills (I pick Deception, Diplomacy, and Survival), and expert training in martial weapons, among other things. I pick the first level feat Power Attack, which lets you add an extra die of weapon damage on a successful hit.

4. Ability Scores

You get four more ability score boosts, so I pick Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma.

5. Equipment

I am planning on using the special saber of the Jinyiwei, which is essentially a bastard sword in Pathfinder terms. That means I can roll big fat d12s worth of damage using the sword two-handed, and also use the sword one-handed for grappling, shoving, and disarming to take advantage of my max Strength. Throw in a cool hat and multicolor armor, and Qinglong is done!

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous raziel lafleur said...

This was great to read, thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home