Saturday, October 29, 2022

Miscellany: Country Roads EDC


I normally don't take much with me when I'm flying, but I made an exception for my West Virginia vacation. I'd be taking the back roads and ranging the byways of the Mountain State for a week with my friends, and it wouldn't be prudent not to be armed. So, I bit the bullet, paid the fee for a checked-in bag ($30 each way), and toted in a whole bunch of hardware (in full compliance with state laws and TSA regulations, natch).

From left to right:

  • Fallout Vault Boy Funko Pop! (#53) - The whole trip was inspired by Fallout 76, which is set in a post-apocalyptic version of West Virginia, so we used this as a prop for our photos.  Bringing the Vault Boy out served as an instant icebreaker and conversation starter. While most of the time you want to blend in when traveling, sometimes it can be advantageous to be recognized as a tourist...we fell in with an impromptu meetup of Fallout fans at the Flatwoods Monster Museum, and we later got interviewed by a TV news station in front of the Kenova Pumpkin House.
  • SlimFold MICRO softshell wallet
  • SIG P365 in PHLster Skeleton AIWB holster, loaded with Federal HST 124 gr. 9mm - If the assignment is to pack the most firepower in the smallest package, the SIG P365 is ideal. I'm not sure if a gun this common merits a full review here at Shangrila Towers, but from my experience, this is one of the best subcompacts on the market.
  • SOFT tourniquet (in PHLster Flatpack tourniquet carrier)
  • Keys (with Wazoo Survival SOS Micro whistle, Maratac AAA flashlight, Leatherman Style PS, and Maratac Split Pea lighter) - All of this gear is TSA-approved for carry on (the Leatherman does not have a knife blade)
  • Casio G-Shock watch
  • ESEE-4 - As a "just in case" item, I toted the ESEE-4 knife. It concealed surprisingly well in an OWB sheathe, and I trust it since I used it hard in a wilderness survival course.
  • Shivworks Clinch Pick
  • SureFire Stiletto Pro
By the way, West Virginia itself is a fine place to visit.  Fresh air, friendly people, and plenty of country roads...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home