Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tech: How NOT to make a game installer

I purchased Galactic Civilizations II yesterday and just got around to installing it today.

I don't know if it's because the CDs are bad, or if it's because the installer uses Windows Scripting and is conflicting with my antivirus stuff (I turned script scanning off, of course), but when I clicked "Install" on the usual AutoPlay launcher, nothing happened and the CD and my hard drive started going bonkers.

Okay, already I'm a bit miffed. I mean, how hard is it to license InstallShield or Wise and get your game installed like every other game on Earth? Why eschew installers that seem to work 99% of the time?

I considered exchanging the game right there, but I figured I'd give Stardock Corp. (makers of Gal. Civ. II) a chance. They, of course, famously abstain from using annoying copy protection schemes on their games, the game got pretty good reviews, and the price was fair, $30.

I downloaded their Stardock Central app (suspiciously similar to Valve's Steam program) and began downloading Gal. Civ. II using the CD key in the box (you normally don't even need to do this - the game truly has no copy protection whatsoever - the key is only for downloading updates and patches).

Currently I'm playing Pure Moods, reading my Criminal Law book, and praying to God this download doesn't take all night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home