Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Miscellany: My workout regimen


After experiencing it for half a year now, I've come to the conclusion that regular strength training is key to maintaining overall health. Whenever I slack off and skip workouts, my gut starts to balloon and my weight starts to rise. I never used to get these kinds of results with just pure cardio (running and biking). Then again, every body is different.

I warm up for 10-15 minutes with a light run - not wind sprinting or anything, but a good pace that works up a sweat. I follow with some stretching. Many debate about this, but it works for me. The most important thing about stretching is that ballistic stretches, where you rapidly go in and out of a stretch, are for experts - I prefer the slow, supported, methodical kind.

Then it's to the exercises, all with dumbbells. Dumbbells are the cheapest way to start training in my opinion (well, short of doing crunches, pullups, and pushups), but they require good technique. I put on some music (an album that lasts an hour is perfect) and start - bicep curls, bench presses, shoulder presses, lateral raises, pec flys, the works. I usually do three sets of 12 reps, but I skip sets if my muscles start to feel iffy. I also use a flat weightlifting bench for some exercises - it works a lot better than just lying on the floor.

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

I've been lifting weights seriously for 19+ years now, and I can agree with almost everything that you say in your post.

Everyone has a certain style that will work for them and if you've found something that works for you, by all means, stick with it.

I have any number of friends who've told me through the years that my standard regimine is either too frequent, or too light, or too heavy or the pace is suicidal or.... Honestly, I don't care about any of it, because I have been doing it long enough now that I know when I've gotten the good out of the session, and I know how I recover and when I can take, or need, a break.

Keep up the good work, and always remember that you are the best judge of what you can do in a workout, not someone else, even a coach who "knows everything".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home