Tuesday, March 13, 2007

News: On Hyperbole (or, "Why I Still Love America")


If you took note of the protests of President Bush's visit to Latin America, you might have seen the "Bush = Hitler" shirts that seem to be all the rage. Now, I'm not a Republican, and I don't agree with many, if not most, of Bush's policies, but if you only listen to protesters, you'd think Bush is the second coming of Hitler and that the current administration is some kind of Fourth Reich.

So let's take a look at the rest of the world, shall we?

Turkey banned YouTube for two days because a video was put up insulting the modern founder of the country.
A blogger in Egypt was sentenced to four years in prison for contrary blog posts.
Zimbabwe opposition leaders were apparently tortured by police. (Hell, even the police admit one protester was shot)
And, of course, China, the most populous nation in the world, censors the Internet constantly.

So explain to me why protesters aren't up at all hours shouting on street corners about these countries? If someone from 1944 were transported to the present, which ones most resemble Nazi Germany?

I thank my lucky stars I don't live in any of these places. I'm thankful to live in the United States of America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home