Sunday, March 11, 2007

News: Some are more equal than others

I'm on vacation now, and I don't quite get to post as often as I can when I'm at school. As dirtcrashr noted, the Court of Appeals' recent Parker decision is a landmark one - this is the first time, at least that I've heard, that a Federal court has struck down a law on Second Amendment grounds.

The biggest news, though, in my opinion, was DC Mayor Fenty's outburst against the ruling.
"I am personally, deeply disappointed and quite frankly outraged," Fenty said.

Outraged? Outraged?

How dare he. Any second-grader can look up the crime statistics in Washington, D.C. for the past few decades and notice one simple fact - the bans do not work. They never have. And no matter how much Mayor Fenty expresses his "outrage," it won't help the disarmed victims of violent crime who have suffered under the DC gun ban.

While Mayor Fenty and his private, taxpayer-funded security detail cozy up for the end of Daylight Savings Time, I can't help but remember Orwell's warning...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home