Monday, March 05, 2007

Links: WUFT-FM "Classic 89"

I have my father to thank for introducing me to public radio. When he drove me to school, NPR's "Morning Edition" was always playing in the car, giving an erstwhile youngster a taste of "grown-up" news. I recently read that a week of the New York Times contains more worldwide news than the average person would come across in an entire lifetime in the 18th century (which is even more amazing if you distrust the Times). I'm grateful to my Dad for not humoring me or insulting my intelligence by turning to another station; then again, he might have just not cared how I felt about what was on. ;-)

Nowadays my local public radio station here in G'ville is WUFT, which broadcasts right out of the University. In years past, their signal was considerably weaker than the other commercial radio stations, but they recently upgraded their equipment. They even broadcast "HD Radio," whatever the heck that is. I tend to listen mostly to their classical music programs, which run nearly all day, but I also make a point of catching "Car Talk" and "Thistle & Shamrock" when I can. I suppose I'll get around to talking about all those shows, and more, eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home