Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Guns: AR stripped lowers

It's been said before, but an AR-15 stripped lower receiver is a ticket to a sea of possibilities. You can grab one for around $100-$150 (all the name brands like RRA, Bushmaster, Armalite, etc. are essentially of equivalent quality), and it counts, by BATFE standards, as a "firearm" - so the remaining parts can be obtained through the Web with no pesky background checks or restrictions (well, unless you live in places like California or New Jersey :-P). Buy a lower parts kit, put all the fiddly little bits in correctly, buy a complete upper assembly (so no worries about headspace), slap the two halves together and BAM! - you have a shiny new AR.

I just ordered a stripped lower from my local shop, and I'm already thinking about what the eventual rifle will look like...perhaps a lightweight or M4-type carbine, like my last AR?

Or should I simplify, and go for a standard 20" model?
I could go a little off-the-beaten-path and get a Dissipator
And don't forget the ever popular varmint/target configs...

Choices are always a good thing. :)

1 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Since I'm in CA and shoot service rifle I'd get the National Match or CMP version - if I could. Maybe now with the Parker decision it will become possible.

To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment
protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right
existed prior to the formation of the new government under the
Constitution and was premised on the private use of arms for
activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter being
understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the
depredations of a tyrannical government (or a threat from
abroad).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home