Sunday, February 11, 2007

Guns: Bushmaster Superlight Carbine


This week features a blast from the past (well, back when I could afford cases and cases of XM193 and the two hour round-trip to the Lake City rifle range) - the Bushie Superlight. Mine was an A2 produced during the AWB, so it came complete with faux Bushmaster telestock and plain-jane non-flash-suppressed barrel.

She was a lively, quick-handling little carbine - if I could've shot her on a regular basis, I would've kept her. But that long drive, combined with rising gas and ammo prices, and the toil of law school, was just too much to justify what was essentially an expensive toy.

I could shoot 2" groups at 100 yards consistently (paper never lies, after all) - the rifle was probably more accurate, but with only sporadic practice and iron sights, it was hard to get better with it. I suppose I could have kept it for defense, but how can you trust your life to something you can only shoot once a month (maybe even less)?

That's not to say the gun never jammed, either. The gas key was improperly staked (gee, thanks, Bushmaster), so I had to tighten it back up and re-stake it. After that, it ran fine, but I never quite had the confidence that I had with my Romanian WASR AK. Then again, I couldn't hit crap at 100 yards with my AK, much less a 2" group, and the AK's safety and trigger were awful.

I've been thinking about getting another one, in case of another "Assault Weapons" ban. But that's only if Micanopy Shooting Sports gets it act together and puts in a backstop capable of taking rifle fire.

2 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

So, I take it that you're from the KC area, originally, going to law school in Gainsville, or something like that?

Funny how small the world is. I'm on the far side of the city from the Lake City range. Still make it out that way to see a friend sometimes and I usually shoot out there once or twice a year.

Moving back after law school is finished?

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Mulliga said...

Yup, going to law school. Probably going to stay in Florida or at least somewhere in the South after I graduate. I wouldn't dream of practicing somewhere where the gun laws are bad. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home