Friday, March 30, 2007

Music: Gattaca soundtrack

I'm a sucker for minimalism sometimes, so it's no surprise that the soundtrack from the movie "Gattaca" finds its way into my playlist now and again. Michael Nyman isn't as well known as Philip Glass, but Nyman's compositions for "Gattaca" are about as good as it gets when it comes to modern instrumental scores. Using mostly haunting strings and dynamic winds, the various orchestral cues are memorable enough to bring back images from the film, which is sort of the acid test for me. Every time I hear this stuff, I think of, in director Andrew Niccol's words, "hope and sorrow," all in the same composition.

Here's the opening to "Gattaca." In my opinion, the beautiful snow-like image of dead skin cells falling meshes perfectly with the soundtrack.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

I thought the movie was fairly lame, and the acting, excepting Jude Law's performance, was flat. Could have been much better, I thought, with more emphasis on the personal struggle that Hawke's character strove to overcome.

Speaking from another perspective entirely, the cinematography was simply superb, as was the props, sets and the garb the actors wore. The architecture, notably Wright's Marin County Civic Center, couldn't have been more appropriate. Those details managed to make at least some of the poor script acceptable, for me at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home