Saturday, April 14, 2007

Miscellany: Car Talk


One of my favorite radio shows is "Car Talk," the weekly call-in show hosted by former MIT grads and current auto mechanics, Tom and Ray Magliozzi (AKA "Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers"). It's easily one of NPR's most popular shows, and for good reason - the light, easygoing banter between the two brothers enlivens what could be a dull or depressing subject.

Listeners call in with their automotive problems (the show isn't live, though - all callers leave a message and are called back for taping) and the brothers do their best to diagnose the problem. The calls range from the mundane - "How often should I change the oil on this car?" - to the bizarre - "I need a way to keep goats off of my car" - and often the callers contribute their own humor, making for a pleasing threesome of comedic proportions.

The part of "Car Talk" I like best, though, is the Puzzler. This weekly riddle is sometimes an old chestnut, but most of the time it's some logic puzzle or automotive conundrum. I couldn't imagine something so cerebral popping up in mainstream commercial radio. It's a nice departure from the typical inane "Be the 10th Caller!" contests.

Having visited Boston, I have been to the "Car Talk" office in Cambridge Square. It's smaller than you might think. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home