Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Miscellany: The Journey Home

Well, my Civil Procedure exam was yesterday, and now it's time for that long drive back down to South Florida. It felt strange saying good-bye to all my classmates - I suppose I'll see most of them next year, but I know at least one of my friends isn't coming back for her second year when fall rolls around (she's finishing up her journalism Ph.D.).

When driving through the nether regions of central Florida, radio stations are few and fleeting. I've taken to using an MP3 player and a car kit to get me through the doldrums. Of course, such things are useless unless you have appropriate music. An obvious choice for a summer drive is "The Beach Boys," but I also like something heavier/darker for those isolated moments.

I sometimes get drowsy. It's common knowledge such sleepiness creates accidents, so I do the prudent thing and stop in a roadside plaza to rest and recuperate. There are a lot of interesting little stops in middle America, but Florida is mostly bereft of them - the closest we get are the Turnpike plazas. Every single one of those plazas has a Starbuck's - that's either comforting or disquieting...or maybe both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home