Sunday, November 18, 2007

Miscellany: There'll be a change in the weather...

Autumn is in full swing here in Gainesville. We've passed the point where it's cool during the morning and warm through the rest of the day - now it's just brisk all the time (temperature never gets above 80 degrees). This is fantastic weather for doing almost anything outside, but it also necessitates some changes in wardrobe.

My outerwear of choice for these conditions is a jacket that I've owned for about a decade. It's khaki-colored cotton, with a leather-lined collar, a bunch of pockets, and plaid cotton interior lining. It's really thin, meaning that it's no good for truly cold weather, but just about perfect for Florida winters.

Looking back, though, this jacket has seen me through many dangers. It's been to Seattle, Chicago, Houston...not to mention the hard knocks of daily wear and tear every winter when I carted it out. It's a minor miracle that such a garment hasn't been lost or misplaced through the years, and it's become my favorite jacket. Possessions are transient, but once in awhile, it's nice to have things that stick around.

3 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually really, really like the lining in that jacket, and had noticed it on Saturday. The jacket as a whole is actually the kind of thing style scum such as myself aches to find in thrift shops because it's just so fucking vintage looking. And most lining is so dull!

Also, to clarify: yes, I can curl 15 pounds, in one direction, and that's about it. I started doing this solely because I became suddenly, painfully neurotic about the state of my upper arms, and decided I needed minor sexy biceps if I was ever going to wear a tank top again in my life. So, you know... it's not terribly functional or isometric or anything else even vaguely useful, although it DOES make me feel better.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Mulliga said...

Yeah, the lining is pretty cool. The jacket actually looks good reversed, too, which is impractical but fun.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Mulliga said...

For a visual of what the jacket looks like (sans sleeves), check out this video of Korean shopkeepers during the L.A. riots. Specifically, the guy in the khaki vest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5ttIHV12s

I now dub it the "Koreatown Combat Jacket."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home