Sunday, November 18, 2007

Miscellany: Tonk


I didn't have anything to write about today, but a random memory from high school did pop into my head:

High school lunch time is one of the major socializing periods you get during the packed school day. While there were many days when I used the time to catch up on class work, most lunch hours were spent talking with friends. Eventually, a lot of us started playing "Tonk," a less complex form of rummy.

It's hard for me to remember the rules, but one aspect of the card game that I do remember was "eating" - where a player could literally snatch cards up that were needed in order to form a spread. This added an important dexterity element to the game, as a skilled player could win even with an unlucky draw by being fast. Looking back, we were pretty much doing the same thing we're doing now in law school with poker night, which is interesting when you really think about it...

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger BigMoonThugPanda said...

Wow. I almost forgot about Tonk... I lost a bit of money playing that. Thanks for the jog down early gambling lane. lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home