Thursday, March 27, 2008

Guns: Weak Hand Drills

Since I've suffered a broken arm, I'll be working with just my left hand for the next few months. In my current state, a motivated 12 year old boy could probably beat me up; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that losing the use of an arm is a huge disadvantage when you have to defend yourself from violent attack. It's trying times like these that make me glad I've practiced with my off hand ever since I learned to shoot.

Some people go to the range, shoot a box of ammo through their gun with both hands, and call it a day. Yet if you don't know how to draw, fire, and reload with one hand (and in my case, with the weak hand), I'd argue you haven't really learned how to handle a handgun. Here's some of the tips and techniques I've picked up from various sources:

Let's start with the draw

Many handgun holsters made nowadays are adjustable, but a good many aren't. My K&D IWB holster, for example, has adjustable Kydex clips, but is also contoured to fit my right side, not my left. In order to draw with my left hand, I'd have to modify my draw from a standard strong-side draw to a pseudo small-of-back draw (shown above) where the gun's muzzle has to cross the body - this is unacceptable.

Thankfully, my trusty S&W 642 rides in a pocket holster. These holsters are usually ambidextrous, and the draw motion doesn't change at all.

What about shooting with one hand?

Shooting with your off hand is challenging, to say the least. Since most people aren't used to their off finger pulling the trigger, you tend to pull your shots off the mark. And it's almost a certainty that you won't be able to handle recoil as well.

The best advice I can give is basic - shoot only as fast as your sight picture allows. Accept that you won't be as good with one hand, and then try to push yourself to become better. If you're shooting from a retention position, you'll definitely need to have practiced previously, since the gun won't point as naturally in your off hand.

How on Earth can I reload like this?

There are several methods you can attempt. You can use your legs (either put the gun between your knees or use the back of one knee while kneeling). I don't like this method, since it immobilizes you:

The next method is to put the gun back into the holster and slap in a mag there. This can be done while moving, but it can be difficult to reholster a slidelocked pistol without closing the slide. If you do end up closing the slide, you may have to rack the gun by snagging the sights onto your belt.

I prefer to tuck the gun underneath the other arm and manipulate it there. This is almost always a serious Rule #2 violation, so don't do it at a range, but it's faster than cramming the gun in a holster and it lets you move quickly.

Reloading a revolver with one hand is harder, but you can use these same priniciples. With a Smith & Wesson revolver with its cylinder open, I find that tucking the barrel inside the pants provides a convenient platform for dropping the speedloader in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home