Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Tech: Planned Obsolescence


One of the problems with modern computers (for a computer maker, anyway) is that they are actually too powerful. A laptop from 5 years ago can perform word processing, websurfing, and e-mail just about as well as anything available today. Why on Earth would anyone buy a new computer if the old one works just fine?

Enter the product "life cycle." Unfortunately, there's a real-life example close to home: my sister's laptop is about to kick the bucket. Additionally, the left touchpad button on my laptop just went belly up, too. Bad luck? The result of two years of neglect?

I think a more honest explanation is that things aren't really built to last anymore. Whether it's your iPod, your cellphone, or your computer, consumer electronics are cheaply made and largely disposable. It's kind of expensive having to replace computers every few years, but I guess it's less trouble than buying new cars.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Speaking as someone who's auditioning laptops for use as a writing machine, and has as the contestants:

iBook G3: 8 years old
G3 "Wall Street": 10 years old
2400c: 11 years old
Duo 280c: 12 years old
540c "Blackbird": 13 years old

I can say that this is one area where I think Apple really does do better than the competition. Most Windows laptops of similar vintages are in landfills now.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Mulliga said...

I agree. Apple laptops have had industry-leading design for awhile now. The 13" MacBooks are drawing my attention - I just need to scrounge up the cash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home