Friday, May 30, 2008

Music: Under the Milky Way

It's a bit embarrassing when you discover a band that you probably should have known about long before. That's how I felt after I watched the 2001 movie "Donnie Darko" and looked up The Church, a band from Australia, and their lone top 40 hit, "Under The Milky Way." Here's a short clip from the movie to show you what I'm talking about (spoilers if you've never seen "Donnie Darko"):



It's a lilting pop melody, with a suitably ethereal performance from Church frontman Steve Kilbey. One interesting bit I found via the various comments in YouTube vids for the song was an accusation that the English rock group Six By Seven copied The Church. I'm not sure if people are correct (hell, for all I know, Six By Seven got permission to do a cover version), but the songs do sound fairly similar...you be the judge:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home