Monday, July 07, 2008

Miscellany: Laptop Security


I tend to do a lot of my work in public or semi-public places, so I have to secure my laptop in case I have to leave it unattended for any length of time. There are a lot of different locks available, but they all tend to work the same way - a tab slips into a little Kensington security notch in the case of the laptop and you hope no one has the gall to rip it apart in order to steal the thing.

My Dad once told me that locks are only there to keep the honest men honest, and I guess my Kensington lock does a decent job of that. It's a combo lock with four spinning wheels, so it's not exactly Fort Knox, but it should dissuade the casual thief who doesn't possess something capable of cutting the admittedly thin wire. I definitely wouldn't rely on it for any length of time, but for a short trip to the restroom, I think it does the trick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home