Saturday, January 10, 2009

Guns: Best AR-15 gizmos

As I understand it, a lot of gun owners bought AR-15 rifles over the holidays, so I thought it'd be fun to talk about the most useful AR gizmos. By "gizmos," I mean all the bits that aren't usually physically attached to the gun - so no slings, lights, or scopes will be discussed here. My top picks, in no particular order:

LULA



Loading an AR mag with ammo is pretty easy for most people - just push the rounds in. The problems come when it's time, for whatever reason, to unload a loaded mag. Unlike, say, a 1911 mag, the .223 rounds are in a tight, double-stacked formation that makes it difficult to push off the rounds with just your thumb.

Enter the LULA magloader. It attaches to the top of a standard AR magazine and allows you to unload or load rounds rapidly and easily. A simple, single-purpose gadget, but I could see it being very handy for certain people.

Handguard Removal Tool

If you have the stock circular handguards that come with an AR-15, you know that they can be pretty hard to remove, especially by yourself. My first Bushmaster's delta ring was so tight I had to get my roommate to push it down while I jimmied the handguards off.

This tool uses leverage to greatly simplify the whole process. I'd assume every gunsmithing shop in the country that does AR work hqas one of these lying around, just for convenience.

Otis Cleaning Kit with M16 Chamber brush


I've taqlked about the Otis kits before, but they really shine when you have to clean an AR upper - the tight spaces make a normal cleaning rod somewhat unwieldy. I also like to throw in a purpose-built M16 chamber brush to get at the grime on the locking lugs and the chamber, which most brushes and patches won't even touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home