Sunday, August 16, 2009

Guns: The Backup CCW System


When you consider how much stuff has to happen for a firearm to function, it's a miracle the darn things work at all. Every time you press the trigger of your handgun, you're setting in motion a Rube Goldberg-esque series of events involving springs, pins, and multiple small interconnected metal pieces.

And it's not like the springs and such last forever. Heck, even holsters can break. I've learned as much in the brief time I've been carrying a concealed weapon. You know those plastic J-clips that some holsters use? They can snap like twigs after enough time and stress (a broken holster clip is pictured above). Belt snaps can loose their internal tensioners. Stitches can break.

Because anything that can go wrong will go wrong, I have an entire backup CCW rig - not just a spare gun, but a spare gunbelt and spare holsters. I suspect I'm in the minority here (heck, surveys seem to indicate a lot of CCWers don't even carry), but I'm not going to go around in public unarmed because of a wardrobe malfunction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home