Saturday, March 28, 2020

TV: Elizabeth I

The coronavirus pandemic has left me with a lot more indoor time than usual, and while I don't have any problem with the content on your average streaming service (hey, it's "The Rocketeer"!), I do try to get in at least a little education with my binge-watching. That's what drew me to "Elizabeth I" on PBS - it's part documentary, part costume drama:



Co-written and hosted by historians Dan Jones and Dr. Suzannah Lipscombe, the three-part series touches upon the Virgin Queen's early life, her political struggles with Mary, Queen of Scots, and (of course) her triumph over the Spanish Armada. Lily Cole does a pretty good job in the lead role, all furrowed brows and pursed lips, but the focus is squarely on the history; there's more narration from the hosts than anything else.

One caveat - this is a Channel 5 production, so the darker parts of Elizabeth's reign (brutal tactics against Catholic Irish rebellions, for instance) are only lightly touched upon.

1 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous An entry from Lobo a Matic, powered by Tumblr.com said...

Hello matee nice post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home