Saturday, March 31, 2018

Miscellany: Surefire E1D LED Defender review


Ten years ago, I bid farewell to my old Surefire E2D flashlight, and it looks like Surefire has done the same with my current everyday carry torch, the apparently-discontinued E1D LED Defender:



I've tried a lot of flashlights over the years (including boutique stuff like Elzettas and Malkoffs), but Surefire remains my go-to brand for serious use. The E1D (and its single CR123A cousins, the EB1 and E1B) hit the sweet spot for me - small enough to clip to a pants pocket, yet bright enough to function as a self-defense light. The E1D in particular has an intense hotspot that throws further than you think - perfect for reaching down a dark alley.

It's not just a "tactical" light, though - I've used the E1D as a primary flashlight in a lot of situations, and it's never let me down. The two-way clip allows it to be carried bezel-up or down (I prefer bezel-down, as it rides deeper in the pocket), and to be mounted on a cap brim for hands-free use. This came in especially handy during two dark nights at a Byron Kerns survival class.

The tailcap switch cycles between two outputs - a 300 lumen high and a 5 lumen low - and defaults to high on the first press. The switch is capable of momentary use, and can also be clicked all the way for constant on. Like the bezel, the tailcap is crenellated, which allows the light to tailstand and also protects the switch from being accidentally activated.

I've bought newer Surefires, including the 400-lumen E1B with Maxvision and the brand-new Tactician, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The E1D may be gone from Surefire's website, but it's going to remain in my stable for at least the next few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home