Sunday, November 12, 2006

School: Meet the Professors (Part 1)


This is the first of a series of posts featuring all of my first-year law professors.

Up first is Professor Little, who teaches Torts. He earned his J.D. from the University of Michigan, and he was at one time the mayor-commissioner of Gainesville.

His voice and his manner remind me most of Bob Barker from "The Price is Right." Come on ... look at the photo! :-)

His method of "calling on" people is a bit different than the rest of the professors. He'll ask one person a question, and then move right down the row of seats, asking whether people agree or disagree, and why. Some classes, however, he just lectures all class period, which can get a bit boring.

Like most torts professors, he uses crazy hypotheticals sketched on the whiteboard to illustrate stuff like the wrongful death statute, proximate cause, etc.

He wrote our torts book along with Professor Lidsky (my P.R. prof, more about her later on), so he knows these cases like the back of his hand. He also gives us settlement negotiations to do outside of class to practice, which is pretty nice.

2 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Kyle The Opinionated said...

Kinda looks like "Q" from the James Bond movies, doesn't he?

Keep your wits, your faith, and what you believe in about you as you head off into the study of law. As a practicing lawyer myself, it can be a very difficult profession if you have ideals, values, and morals. I'll be curious to hear what you think about it all after you're out amongst the heathens.

The price of your integrity in the practice of law is pretty high. Be prepared to pay it, or prepared to sacrifice your soul. That may sound farfetched, but you'll see.

To thine own self be true. Hopefully we'll turn another honest lawyer loose in the world after you are done.
You can pass the professional responsibility portion of the bar by applying the "what would Jesus do" rule. You might laugh, but it works for at least 80% of the questions.

Keep

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Mulliga said...

Thanks for the advice. Most of my classmates seem to have the whole "zealous advocate" thing down, but I often wonder how many representations I might have to refuse or withdraw from because of my values.

I doubt I could truly give effective representation to causes and organizations I oppose, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home