Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Guns: A Disturbing Trend, Part 2

I saw this video at Xavier's place. It has apparently been making its way around many other blogs, so I might as well join in on the fun:




I took away two things from the interview. One, I need me some "ninja knives." Two, "criminal profiler" Pat Brown probably isn't friends with many gun collectors.

This isn't an isolated attitude. For some reason, it's okay to fear, stereotype, and belittle gun owners. Last week I visited a small used bookstore near my place and asked if they had any books on firearms. It turned out they did ... right next to books like Hooded Americanism. I'm not sure why a pro-KKK "history" is placed in the guns section, but I didn't feel the need to waste my time to ask - I exited the store without spending a cent.

That's not to say all gun owners are saints, or that nobody in the KKK owns any guns. But it's pretty disconcerting to be pigeonholed as some kind of bigot or sociopath when people find out you carry a firearm for self-defense. I'm hoping that as more states get CCW and more people start owning guns, we can get rid of some if this intolerance, and go back to the time when a Democratic president gratefully accepted a life membership from the NRA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home