Saturday, June 23, 2007

TV: Stretching E/I


If you've watched a children's television show in the past decade, you probably have seen the small "E/I" symbol somewhere on the screen. Ever since the Children's Television Act went into effect, broadcast stations must show at least three hours of E/I (educational and informative) programming every week. Most of the time these requirements are met by showing Saturday morning cartoons, which is understandable but not inventive.

Some stations "stretch" the definition of E/I. For example, while nobody would argue "Beakman's World" is not an educational show, it's hard to justify putting "Saved by the Bell" into the E/I category (unless someone intends to learn how to start a mediocre acting career like Dustin Diamond). Similar sorta-informative shows include "This Week In Baseball" and "NBA Access with Ahmad Rashad" - I suppose if you want a lesson in steroid use or incessant contract whining, these shows are up your alley.

From my experience, kids can learn something from watching pretty much anything. As a kid, I remember devouring such off-kilter fare as "The Frugal Gourmet," "Knight Rider," and "Allegra's Window." Children, in general, seem to be sponges for information. The question then becomes, I suppose, whether we want kids to learn what's being shown on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home