Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Movies: My Super Ex-Girlfriend

There are some films that make you lose respect for a director you once liked. Unfortunately, "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" has undermined my faith in Ivan Reitman to direct passable comedies. While in previous years, Reitman projects like "Ghostbusters," "Kindergarten Cop," and "Evolution" were at least decent and in some cases classic, this latest box office dud starring Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson is one of the worst movies I've seen recently. Here's the trailer:


A good premise, I suppose, for some superhero screwball relationship comedy. But the actual execution is so lifeless that it attracts flies. Uma is channeling some of her post-Ethan rage here, but G-Girl's actions soon cross the line from harassment to outright attempted murder. Wilson is even worse - a limp fish who ends up feeling slimy and dishonest when he strings his superhero girlfriend along.

In fact, no one in the movie is really sympathetic, which makes laughing at any of the situations difficult. I've always believed that in a comedy, you need someone to identify with, whether it's Arnold saying "It's not a tooo-muh" in "Kindergarten Cop" or the nerdy Ghostbusters, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. When you see "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" on TV, you probably won't mind changing the channel, either.

Rating: 4/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home