Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tech: Not quite like I remember


For the first part of a video gaming generation, video game consoles are more powerful and can match even high-end PCs (the PlayStation 3, for example, is more powerful than nearly all of the PCs you'll come across today). In the second part, consoles become outgunned against even midrange computers...which prompts video game manufacturers to release another console. I like both types of games, which often takes a toll on the wallet.

With the new computer I purchased recently, I finally had a processor, hard drive, and memory that were up to snuff. The problem is, the single most critical component in any gaming computer is the graphics card - and it's also becoming one of the most expensive components. I had a massive case of sticker shock when looking at current GPU prices - whereas the top of the market used to be $500, now cards sell for $800 and up (you could buy a whole computer for that) and eat up huge amounts of power.

To replace the sagging Radeon X1650SE that came with the computer, I've been eyeing the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS, as it's about $300 and has enough performance to play all of today's games. I suppose I should be thankful Microsoft is also the purveyor of Windows - this means I get a jazzed-up, higher-resolution port of "Gears of War" with free online multiplayer merely a year after the Xbox 360 release of the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home