Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Politics: The Republican CNN/YouTube Debate

I dislike televised debates. I think it's generally agreed that they are contests to see who can throw out the best 30-second soundbite or who can act the most congenial on national television. When you have an issue like the Iraq war or illegal immigration, asking for a simple solution is like trying to cook a Thanksgiving turkey in ten minutes - it can be done, but the results won't be very satisfying.

I did watch tonight's Republican presidential debate, though, mostly to see what kind of questions people asked about gun rights, and how the candidates answered. Predictably, Giuliani spouted off his "I support the Second Amendment" nonsense. Tonight, he also added that he agreed with the Court of Appeals' opinion in Heller striking down D.C.'s gun ban.

This is a conundrum, given that NYC's gun laws are about as restrictive as D.C.'s. What's really ironic is that Rudy admitted to having 24/7 armed security earlier in the debate - some animals are more equal than others, I guess.

The other notable gun rights question was simple - do you own guns, and what kind do you own?



Some candidates were coy, but none admitted to having NFA stuff. My ideal candidate's response to the question above?

"I do own firearms. The most important gun I own, however, is a (insert name of pistol/revolver here). It's not used for hunting, but to protect myself and my family. I'm carrying it right now in a strongside holster, and I support the right of all people to carry guns for defense."

1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"some animals are more equal than others, I guess."

yep.
and that sums things up all around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home