Monday, November 26, 2007

TV: Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Breda previewed it, but I didn't realize how much of a push "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" was receiving from FOX until I sat through a dozen ads for it, all running during new episodes of "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy." Here's a clip from the pilot:



I'm a huge fan of both "The Terminator" and its first sequel, but in my opinion the story was pretty much over when T2 was done - anything else that comes down the pike feels tacked-on and pointless (watch T2 and T3 back-to-back, and you'll see how poorly the latter fares without James Cameron's brilliance).

This series looks like it's going to tread some very familiar territory. Looking at the other clips on YouTube, the whole affair feels like a low-budget remake of T2. And the Terminator universe, which already includes sentient machines and time travel, is looking to become even more far-fetched - exactly how many Terminators is SkyNet going to send back? And how does the human resistance keep sending back people to protect John?

I've always liked Thomas Dekker (he was in the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" TV series) and Summer Glau (a refugee from "Firefly"), but I predict this thing's gonna sink. Oh well...here's Summer (playing River Tam) kicking some ass in "Serenity":

3 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger breda said...

did you notice that Summer Glau's Terminator character is named Cameron? =)

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Mulliga said...

I did, but I didn't make the connection until now. :-)

Even though I'm not optimistic, I'll still be keeping an eye out for this one in January. I hope they can portray John getting duped by Cameron without making him look too stupid (if John can't sniff out a Terminator by _now_...).

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught a minute and a half clip on Http://www.getterminated.com (after putting my face onto the terminator in one of the scenes, lol) of them in a bank vault. I'm not sure, based on what i've seen i think it could be really good. I guess I'll just have to wait and see

 

Post a Comment

<< Home