Friday, April 25, 2008

TV: Wings

When I used to stay over at my Grandparents' place over the summer, I usually had to share a room with my aunt. I appreciated that, since it probably wasn't convenient for her. One thing we used to do was watch reruns of "Wings" on the USA Network. The show had an opening based on an abbreviated Schubert piece:



It was a bit over my head at the time (jokes about sex toys don't really translate to a 9 year-old), but the humor was broad enough so that anyone could understand it. Critics have labeled it as "Cheers" at an airport, which is probably fair, but, although it wasn't innovative, it was entertaining in a workmanlike way, I guess.

Most of the performers in the show didn't really experience a career boost, except for perhaps Tony Shalhoub and Thomas Haden Church. Like in most shows, the supporting characters were often a lot funnier than the leads, especially the relationship between the acerbic Fay and the arrogant Roy:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home