Sunday, April 26, 2020

Miscellany: ESEE Knives ESEE-4

Prepping is getting popular during this pandemic, and it got me nostalgic for my survival class with Byron Kerns. The tool I used most in that class was a fixed blade knife - specifically, an ESEE-4. It's one of ESEE's most popular models, because it strikes a good balance between size and portability. While you're not going to chop down a redwood with it (it's only 9" long, with a 4" blade), you can use the ESEE-4 to baton and process most firewood, and also around camp for more relaxed chores like whittling.



The handle is pretty ergonomic; I didn't notice any hot spots on my hand after working with the knife for three days in the field, but some may opt for the "3D Handle" versions with more contoured G10/Micarta scales. The ESEE-4's handle has a good size finger guard for safety and merges into a choil large enough to choke up on the blade.

Out of the box, the ESEE-4 comes with a decent sheath with multiple methods of attaching it to your gear. I opted to simply lash it to my belt with some paracord:






The ESEE-4 is optimized for toughness and durability, not pure cutting performance. The 1095 steel doesn't hold the sharpest edge, but at least it won't break on you. The thick stock means that the knife has a hard time cleanly slicing through material, but again, it also makes the blade tough to destroy.


I've taken to keeping an ESEE-4 in my car and get-home-bags. I know what it can do, and perhaps more importantly, I know what I can do with it. For about a hundred bucks, it's cheap insurance in an uncertain world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home