Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Guns: A 9mm Ammunition




One of the advantages of shooting a 9mm as your primary defensive firearm is that 9mm costs a lot less than other pistol rounds. Since 9mm is the most widely used pistol cartridge in the world, it's basically a sure thing for ammo manufacturers (especially foreign manufacturers) to produce (somebody's gonna buy it) - classic economy of scale. A .45 ACP does not take twice the raw materials or even machinery to produce, but the fact that it's much less favored around the world serves to drive up the price to double that of 9mm.

Lately, though, ammo prices have been rising. Some of my go-to range ammo choices in the past - Winchester "White Box" USA 100-round value packs, Sellier & Bellot, Magtech, American, Blazer Brass, etc. - have become quite expensive. Whereas a year and a half ago you would be able to snag a case of quality ammo for maybe $110-$125, nowadays you might be paying $150-$170 for the exact same ammo. Ouch.

I took a chance on some new stuff - Sellier & Bellot copper-plated steel. The primary expense in a cartridge, of course, is the brass itself - copper is a valuable commodity, useful in many more applications than just ammo. By replacing it with steel or aluminum (or filling spent cases with new powder and bullets, AKA handloading), you stand to save a lot of money.

The problem is, though, that steel and aluminum act very differently from brass (different coefficient of friction, different hardness, etc.) and thus do not work consistently in some firearms. The copper-plating on my S&B ammo supposedly should serve to reduce those problems. I've shot about 400 rounds of the stuff so far, and aside from bright sparks issuing from the barrel (either copper flaking off, a quirk of the powder, or both), it seems to work well.

5 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Might have to get a 9mm for Buy-A-Gun Day - I don't have anything in that and recently heard good things about the Sig Sauer P225 from the Michael Bane Blog: "the thinking person's 9mm. It's a single stack (8-round mags), conceals easily, shoots like a dream and is reliable as dirt."

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Reliable as Dirt. That's funny.

Never been a big fan of the SIG. I've nothing against the guns they produce but, of all the things that could be at fault, for me it's the ergonomics. A trait they are usually extolled for. I just don't like them. They feel funny in my hands. Control placement and odd CG that seems too high, like I've got a baseball bat in my hand. Weird, personal stuff.

Quality is something else. No doubt they are accurate and exceedingly reliable. Try a all of their models Dirt, and get whatever fits you best.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Mulliga said...

Every SIG I've shot has been dead-nuts accurate, with a nice trigger. They are bit "high" (in terms of numerical measurements, the bore axis isn't too high compared to other autoloaders, but it certainly feels that way for some reason).

While most of the SIGs that passed through my hands ran fairly well, some were jammomatics. To be fair, though, one of those "problem" guns was a SIG Pro polymer-framed pistol.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about buying a 9mm barrel for my XD and Sig just so I can practice more economically.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Great feedback you guys, I can totally understand the ergonomic issues, I just never though much about them, like the height of the axis - I shoot my Garand a lot more than any of my handguns, which are few in number. The one pictured at AIM in the link looks serious but I'm really not familiar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home