Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Guns: A 9mm & A .22 LR


A day after the tragic, repulsive murders at VA Tech, the accusations and recriminations are flying. I believe it was confirmed that the killer used a GLOCK 19 and a Walther P22 - these are not special guns by any stretch of the imagination. Walk into any place handguns are sold and you will find G19s by the barrelfull (I considered buying one as my CCW, but chose the P-01 instead). The P22 is pretty common, too (though the one P22 I've shot was about as reliable as an alarm clock made of cheese).

It got me to thinking about the capacity for evil. How many people have a GLOCK and a .22? Hell, how many college students have them? I'd bet the number is huge, easily in the thousands. So what made this nutcase, representing maybe .000001% of the shooting population, different?

Here are (supposedly) some plays the murderer wrote. What strikes me most about them is not the angst or the violence, but how awful they are. This is a guy who was an English major, after all. I've written better stuff than that in my creative writing class in freshman year. What does it all mean?

The guy was an idiot. Not some criminal mastermind, not a brilliant terrorist, but a psycho with a poor sense of plot. I hope he's forgotten - he doesn't deserve any kind of fame after what he did. So Good Riddance to Bad Theatre.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Maybe at some point along the way, by seeing and reading other student's much better work, he finally figured out how bad his writing really was and that he ought to change majors. I was often nearly struck-dumb and amazed by my fellow students, at how much more talented than I they were...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home