Saturday, June 23, 2007

Food: Some Thoughts on Exercise Nutrition


I started working out again last week (welcoming myself back to Soreness City in the process), and it seemed fitting to post about what I like to eat, pre and post exercise. I'm no nutritionist or dietician, and every person has different dietary needs, but I think it might be edifying to hear about what someone else eats.

Before I start to exercise, I find it's important to have a decent meal half-digested in the system, in order to provide some energy. For example, if I wish to run in the morning, I'll eat a good-sized breakfast (glass of water, bowl of cereal, some fruit, perhaps a PB&J), and then relax for about 2 hours. That way, when I start running at 9 AM, I'll be ready to go. Weight training in the afternoon follows a similar procedure. After exercise, you definitely need nutrients to help repair and recover. Good, balanced meals work well for this, along with plenty of water.

Another problem people run into is what to eat. My old roommates used to use powdered protein shakes, but I've never tried them (if I can't maintain my muscles with the stuff I eat normally, what's the point?). Instead, I like to go back to the basics for protein. Cheap protein sources include eggs, beans, nuts. More expensive sources (for me) are chicken wings, all-you-can-eat ribs, and carnitas. Most of the time, you get a decent amount of fat in these foods, too (you need fat to survive, and it also happens to taste great).

As far as quantity, I think most people agree that eating a big meal three hours before bedtime is a bad idea. I normally try to make lunch the biggest meal of the day, with smaller meals and snacks coming as needed. I generally prevent myself from feeling hungry or thirsty in this fashion - in this sense, I think it's better to overeat than undereat. Going to bed hungry should not be a daily experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home