Saturday, June 30, 2007

Miscellany: My FM Radio Dial


Places in Gainesville tend to be on one side of the university or the other, so sometimes you do end up spending a lot of time in the car. I'm not the world's most enthusiastic driver, so I like listening to the radio to pass the many hours eventually spent behind the wheel. Here are some of the things I typically listen to - I'm sure there are analogous stations in other markets around the country.

89.1 - Classic 89: Our public radio station, broadcast out of the UF campus. I've posted about them before, and I usually run here whenever all the other stations are in commercial. They often play popular classical music. There's just something that feels right about listening to "Ride of the Valkyries" when going to the pistol range. ;-)

92.5 - Wind FM: They usually play a pretty varied selection of '60s, '70s, and '80s rock. I've heard everything from the Beatles to Zeppelin to Black Sabbath. Favorite segments here include "The Acoustic Storm" and "Led Before Bed." They had a contest recently where a lucky caller won a trip to London to see Genesis in their reunion tour with Phil Collins.

103.7 - Rock104: Another station coming out of UF. Much more recent stuff than Wind FM, with a bias towards '90s rock methinks. You'll hear quite a bit of Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. They also do the occasional event/promotion on campus, which usually results in a quick, free meal or a crappy T-shirt.

106.9 - WKZY: Their tagline is "The '80s, the '90s, whatever we want," and they generally live up to this. Expect a lot of '90s pop, including incessant play of Smashmouth songs like "All Star" and "Walkin' on the Sun." This station in particular brings back a rush of nostalgia for me; even if I'm not really a fan, I grew up with bands like Sugar Ray and No Doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home