Thursday, July 19, 2007

Miscellany: The gym down here

When I'm home from college, I don't have access to the fancy bench and dumbbells in my place back up in G'ville. Thankfully, like a lot of suburban subdivisions, we have a recreation center that includes a gym and a poolhouse. It's a bit far away, but that just means I can get warmed up just by travelling there.

Inside is a slightly cramped but fully equipped weight room. You've got dumbbells from 5 pounds to 100 pounds, treadmills, stairclimbers, stationary bikes, a half-dozen different weight machines, and a big ole Swiss ball. There's even disinfectant and paper towels - "sanitized for your convenience," as it were.

I don't really care much for the TVs in the room, though. I enjoy weight training without any kind of inane chatter to gum up the experience, but the housewives and retirees that frequent our gym often turn on "The View" or something similarly grating. Next time, I'll try to put on "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I see your Barbara Walters, and raise you a Jean-Luc Picard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home